Saturday, 27 July 2013

Music Focus: Helen And The Sirens

source
I was cruising through twitter last night and got  tweeting a bit with Company Magazine and all-female band Helen and The Sirens. I had heard the band name around the music blogoshpere a bit, but had yet to have a listen and find out more, until now...
The line-up is Helen Green, Lydia Smart, Aessi Gunawardhana, Chloe Rivers, Ciara Lavers and Trudy Pye. 
What a sound! A bit of me was annoyed that I had not found them earlier (they started releasing material as early as 2010!), because their sound is so fascinating.
There is something very Florence Welch/ Kate Bush/Caro Emerald about the vocals - tribal and haunting at the same time, but a sound you get drawn to quickly.
I listened to 'Gold' first, and to me, it sounds like an epic score that should be used for a feature film in the future. I don't use the word 'epic' a lot, so this is pretty something.
 The use of strings (with  flashes of classic Baroque ornamentation) is very refreshing and and really cool to hear in a pop song. 
I describe Helen And The Sirens as Alternative/Experimental Pop to some extent, but I think it's too early to put them into a box like that - they seem musically free!

♫ ♪ Ear lovin' ♫ ♪

Why do you think? There really is no one like this band out there at the moment, and that is pretty wonderful. I can't wait to see how they progress in music world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment